The process is simple. Once you have consulted with a team member to make sure we can get the permit, we will begin the actions to reserve and acquire your vacation rental permit. 



Our codes officer will instantly start working with you to gather the appropriate information to secure your permit.

Short Term Rental Property Permit Information | Nashville, Tn


In Nashville and Davidson County, the law requires that anyone wishing to rent a property on Short Term Rental Property (STRP) websites such Airbnb and HomeAway MUST receive a permit from the Metro Codes Department prior to listing.


There are two types of STRP permits in Nashville: owner-occupied and non-owner occupied. New non-owner occupied STRP permits (often times investor owned properties) are only permitted in certain non-residentially zoned areas, as listed in the District


Land Use Table (District Land Use Table PDF Version).


New Permit Requirements and Steps


Understanding permit requirements can reduce the amount of time and visits to the Codes Department required for obtaining a permit.


Rules for Operating an STRP


Once permitted, STRPs are required to follow certain rules, failure of which can result in the revocation of a permit.


Types of STRP Permits


Definitions and requirements for owner-occupied and non-owner occupied permits.


Remitting Taxes


STRP operators are required to remit business, sales and hotel occupancy taxes to the city and state. The Office of the Treasurer has detailed instructions on how to properly register and remain compliant.


Renewing a Permit

Permits MUST be renewed each year in order to stay in compliance with the law. Operating an STRP under an expired permit will result in a one year prohibition from obtaining a new permit.


STRP Complaints


The Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County has established a hotline for reporting illegal short-term rental properties and for reporting noise, parking, trash and other nuisance complaints pertaining to specific short term rental properties. To file a report, go to: or you may call 435-STR-HELP (435-787-4357), 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. All request for service / complaints related to short term rental property violations should be reported through this hotline. The Metro Department of Codes and Building Safety is required by Tennessee state law § 13-7-604(C) to inform you that any false complaints made against a short-term rental unit provider are punishable as perjury under TCA § 39-16-702.

© 2019 by The Lease Killers



  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
  • White LinkedIn Icon
  • White Google+ Icon